So today was the BFT ( Big Fun Thing)- the one Sunday a year where the high schoolers just come to basically have a blast and engage in something akin to the wacky olympics.
Did I mention they asked me to be the MC for this ONE SUNDAY into my internship?
And so it happened. Talk about flying by the seat of my pants- I get to Eastview at 9, the service is at 11, and I know nothing about what I'm supposed to say on stage in front of 400 teens except that I'm "the one that keeps things moving on stage the whole time."
I knew it would be more than that. When I hear "MC" I think: entertaining, loud, slightly obnoxious, joke-cracker.
None of those things are a huge goal for my life, to be honest. But if these people who have known me for a week believe that I can, I thought, I will.
To be honest, it went pretty well. I always get a certain way before going on stage for anything which involves feeling like I'm going to pass out and feeling hot spit (pre-emptive throw-up) forming in the glands of my throat. Pleasant, I know.
But once I got over that, I got up there and hammed it up. And the high schoolers loved it.
As Charlie said today, It was pretty much my "celebrity moment, Claire. Everyone will know you now, and they'll love you. Of course."
God does this cool thing with things I am kind of afraid of. I used to be terrified about getting up in front of people and doing ANYTHING, even standing. Something changed last year when I had to read a prayer by Kierkegaard in chapel, and while this wasn't in front of 2,000 of my peers, 400 teenagers are still pretty intimidating. Especially knowing how I was in high school- snap judgments are made before the speaker even GETS on stage, and then, for full acceptance, they have to be one thing exceptionally- you know, funny, cute, engaging.
Probably not that much has changed since I was in high school in that respect.
God makes me what I need to be to get through things. I've always said, He makes me brave, and He did it again. Things that I felt like I needed a lot of courage for before are becoming more effortless. Not always flawless, but easier.
No comments:
Post a Comment