Wednesday, July 21, 2010

tuesday and wednesday/ two girls and an empty office

So it's just been Brooke and Claire in the office- Jr. High Worship Coordinator and Senior High Intern, respectively.

Today we went to Menards for a major shopping trip- buying enough supplies for about 80 Jr. Highers to go on the annual "Know Sweat" trip to New Orleans. Paintbrushes, drop cloths, garbage bags by the yard--the list went on and on. I can't say Menards is a place I frequent, but we did alright for ourselves- we didn't even have to ask for that much help to find it all. I asked Brooke how the Bible Study for Jr. High girls she led last night went, and she said it was the best one yet. I guess it was on fasting--something I've been thinking about lately because I haven't fasted as a spiritual discipline, while I've engaged in most of the others Foster talks about. I'm praying about when and where to fit that into my life, and for what specific purpose, if there needs to be one- or if it's yet another way to draw near to God.
---

I've been reading a book that Chelsea left me with when she left for the DR earlier this week called "Girls on the Edge," and aside from being moderately dramatic and focusing on some strange things (the author is not a believer), it's very insightful. It discusses some of the major issues female teens are dealing with today- body image, sexual pressure, addictions, obsessions- the whole deal.

What is both scary and revealing is that while I'm reading this, I see glimpses of myself, of some of the things I've dealt with, of some of the terrible and frightening directions my life would have taken without Christ. The more I think about it, the more excited I am to go into counseling, to do that with my life. People are hurting out there, and my heart hurts for them. God continues to break my heart for people who have broken hearts, who need healing.

I just want people to know that healing only comes from one place- God. I can be the vessel, I can give them tools and help them with their internal dialogue, I can point them to the truth, but I am never the truth itself. Somebody already has that down, and I'm so glad He does.

This internship more than anything is creating an environment for me where I'm exploring who God has made me to be, who I am around other believers, and what I'm going to do with my life. I've been processing the Holy Lands a lot here, too. Maybe more on that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment